Saturday, January 10, 2009

On our way back from Lava Hot Springs to Twin Falls we took a side trip to American Falls. This old building is the subject of one of my first paintings.  I don't know the history of this building.  American Falls dam just above here required the moving of the town sometime early in the 1900's.  I need to do some more research.  A grain elevator stands as a reminder of the past in the middle of the reservoir.
About 10 miles below American Falls is a Snake River lava canyon.  Very wild and rugged.  The Oregon Trail crossed the river in this area.  I use to fish for trout in this area on the opening day of fishing season with my father.  The area is also called Massacre Rock because of a narrow passage of rock that the wagons had to pass through. An unfortunate wagon caravan was attacked by native americans in the pass.  

No comments:

Post a Comment